Yes, its true we all fart, pass gas, cut the cheese, step on a duck, you get the idea. The big question is how much is normal and when does it become a sign of a malfunctioning digestive system. Believe it or not there are answers to this question.
Lets first discuss where gas comes from.
There are two ways that humans are thought to build up gas. The first is air being swallowed while you are eating and drinking. The faster you eat and drink the more air you swallow. Sucking on candy, chewing gum and smoking can also draw in air. Most of this is released by burping (this will be covered later) the rest makes its way through the intestine and out the back door. The second way and most likely cause is from the presence of undigested carbohydrate-containing foods. When large volume of sugars. starches and fibers make it to the large intestine the bacteria there break them down. The result is the production of gas. These gases cause stomach bloating and flatulence.
Some of the major fart fuels are: vegetables such as artichokes, asparagus, broccoli, Brussels sprouts (fart capsules), cabbage, corn and potatoes. Fruits such as apples, peaches and pears. Beans (magical fruit). Carbonated beverages and wheat products like pasta, cereal and whole grain breads. Most of these foods are considered to be very nutritious.
How often does the normal person fart?
According to research at Gas University the average amount of gas produced is about 4 pints per day which is released out one end or the other about 14 times per day. The amount becomes unhealthy at over 23 times a day when occurring on a regular basis. This combined with stomach pain and bloating can be a sign of a more serious underlying condition and a doctor visit may be in order (not this doctor!!). A list of gas causing conditions: Gerd, reflux, peptic ulcers, irritable bowel, lactose intolerance, Crohns and a history of abdominal surgery. There are tests that can determine the cause.
- Eat and drink slowly and chew your food well. This will reduce air intake.
- Avoid gum chewing, sucking hard candy or smoking.
- Try to isolate which foods give you gas and reduce the quantity
- Watch your fiber and dairy intake. Products are available to reduce gas when consuming these foods. (Lactaid, Beano).
- Gas-x or Mylanta contain agents that dissolve gas.
- Cardio exercise and core strengthening can reduce gas.
- Last and most important chiropractic can not help this condition. I don’t even want to hear about it. All kidding aside being in proper chiropractic alignment can reduce gas as well.
Its kind of hard not to joke about flatulence. Every kid movie made today has a major character passing gas which always brings a big laugh. To those suffering with this condition it is not very funny. Really! With attention to diet and exercise the vast majority of gas can be eliminated and you too can be a 14 fart a day person like the rest of us. Contact New Life