Treatment of fibromyalgia in Virginia Beach
What is Fibromyalgia? Fibromyalgia syndrome is a condition that shows up as widespread pain and tenderness in multiple areas throughout the body. It was originally thought that this pain originated in the muscle and or soft tissue of the pain areas. Chiropractors have known and it is now proven that this is a condition of the central nervous system. Pressure on the nerves of the spine cause the pain receptors of the body to become super sensitive causing pain to be produced with much lighter pressure than normal. We call this allodynia. Along with the allodynia, many other symptoms can be present such as headaches, irritable bowel syndrome, numbness and tingling in the extremities as well as anxiety and depression.
Medical treatment of fibromyalgia. Traditional allopathic treatment for fibromyalgia has been ineffective at best. The current treatment is low dose anti depressants and medications for anxiety. These treatments get better results than the nsaids and steroid treatment of the past that were used for symptomatic relief. Physical therapy with light aerobic exercise has shown positive benefits. Cognitive behavioral therapy and stress reduction techniques have also shown some benefit. At New Life Chiropractic we have we have 4 main treatment goals for fibromyalgia.
- Restore preillness activities of daily living
- Increase pain-free range of motion
- Relieve pain and prevent recurrence
- Promote soft tissue healing
The chiropractic treatment of fibromyalgia has 4 components. Manipulation, physical therapy, rehabilitation and very important diet.
- Manipulation to correct any faulty spinal biomechanics. Use of gentler light force technique is more tolerable and preferred.
- PT. moist heat may be of some benefit. I also like limited use of inferential on particularly painful areas.
- Rehabilitation mild activities should start slowly and increased as tolerated. Slow walking and light stretching have shown benefit. Swimming and water based activities also benefit.
- Diet eliminate coffee and alcohol. Avoid or decrease sugar, sucrose, chocolate and nicotine. Supplement with vitamin D, b-complex, fish oil, magnesium and a high quality multivitamins. Call New Life Today!!